Caer Odyn – ‘Fields of Lime’ was built in the early 1800’s as a storage barn used by local farmers to store lime which was shipped into the harbour a short distance down the road. The building was subsequently converted into two cottages and, at a later stage, into one cottage.
After purchasing the cottage in 2007, the current owners began major renovation works in spring 2014. This involved a new roof, exposing the existing timber roof trusses, improved insulation to the external fabric, new windows, and a new drainage system.
The project brief was to retain and restore the original cottage feel of the property, whilst providing a more modern flair and allowing more natural light into the building. Specific materials and technology was incorporated within the renovations to create a more environmentally friendly building which is more economical to run and maintain.